Etc.
Sunday, January 21, 2007
  Missing the Point, Part I
This past Friday, I was tired. It was my first week of school. I had interviewed for two jobs. I had gone to the gym twice to walk for 20 minutes. These are the excuses that I offer up for my complete lack of "getting it" Friday night. In other words, I kept missing the point. Let's take a look...

I saw Pan's Labyrinth with a Friend on this particular night. So, as Friend and I are coming out of the movie, I tell her about my disappointment in the film, that maybe there was too much hype, that I just didn't get what was so great about harrowing images of war, a little girl losing an important adult in her life, and, alongside all of this, a fairytale. Friend, on the other hand, loved it; and, I respect Friend's intelligence, thus her opinion. So, I reveal, "I feel like I'm missing something, some analogy, some grand metaphor." Friend puts in her two cents (sense?) and gently says, "Well, I think it's about the loss of childhood." Just as she says that, I have a DUH moment: Of course it's about the loss of childhood! Stupid stupid stupid%$?#!. I'm pretty hard on myself intellectually, but I repeat the series of excuses listed above and forget about it.

As we continue our walk down the Mall, a drunk guy appears out of nowhere and makes a drunken comment. Before I relay such comment, it is imperative you know that Friend was wearing a hat, I was holding my hat, and I probably had a little fuzzy hat head. So, drunk dude pops out and slurs, "That's too many hats for too many ladies." I turn to Friend, look at her somewhat quizzically, and say, "Wait, there aren't too many hats for too many ladies. Maybe he thought my hair was also a hat because it's so big." Friend, at this point, is getting a little what the fuck is wrong with you? with me and says, "LC, he said that because he's drunk and he probably saw two of us, and things are just blurry." I get a little embarrassed and softly mutter, "oh." I repeat the string of excuses listed above, but my boots are heavier with feelings of stupidity now. I trudge on.

We're still walking on the Mall. It's been like 5 minutes since we've gotten out of the movie. We spot a pair of college girls who aren't wearing coats, just slinky tank tops. We can hear little bits of their conversation, a lot of loud laughter. They're holding hands, skipping here and there. I turn to Friend and, exasperated, say, "I can't believe those girls! Where are their coats? Aren't they freezing?!? I'd rather be comfortable than freezing..." Friend interrupts me mid-tirade and gives me an LC--really?!? type of look and declares, "They are drunk, LCccccc. That's the point!"

The rest of the night, I shut up. Friend was right; I was missing the point, and, it was embarrassing. I just wasn't getting the simplest of things. We met up with other friends at a bar, and I was too nervous to really initiate much conversation for slight fear that someone else would notice my ability to miss the point. To say the least and the most, it was a humbling eve.

CONCLUSION: To be continued...
 
Comments:
I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but on Friday night you told me a very funny joke, which I told to someone else who then thought I was very witty and original, thus making you very witty and actually original, whereas I am only slightly witty for having the foresight to retell said joke and not very original at all for stealing your joke. (But, truth be told, you told me to tell said joke to unsuspecting audience.) I hope this makes sense. I've been awake since 7am and it took me 7 tries to figure out how to italicize words on this thing.
 
Awwwwww, this blog makes me sad :(. It also makes me ("Friend") sound like kind of a bitch....The next time you feel stupid for "missing the point," just remember why I don't mind girth ;). We all have those nights. Also remember, I test IQs for a living, so I know what "stupid" is, and it ain't you.
 
EEKBEAT: Thank you for the reassurance:) Truth be told, that's the only joke I can remember and deliver perfectly. So, I guess "Let the" used to precede "truth be told," and then we shortened it, right?

NIGHTOWL72: We've gone over this. You are a bitch. ~wink, wink~ But, your super-stealthy name makes up for it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

ARCHIVES
September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 / February 2008 /


Powered by Blogger